- The Lord of the Rings – Not many fantasy novels can compare in detail and complexity to J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Travel to Middle-Earth and discover amazing creatures like hobbits, Ents, orcs, and elves. Tolkien accomplished the feat of creating his own world and language and it paid off! Readers everywhere enjoy his fantasy series about the all-powerful One Ring and its unlikely bearer, Frodo Baggins. Tolkien’s invention of Middle-Earth has spawned several award-winning films, and who doesn’t love to see this fantasy come to life?
- Harry Potter series – One of the most widely read fantasy series of the modern era, Harry Potter is J.K. Rowling’s masterpiece. Follow Harry Potter as he strives to become the best wizard and defeat You-Know-Who. Harry and his friends, Hermione and Ron, will take you on amazing adventures throughout this series. With eight outstanding films, a theme park, and more merchandise than any wizard’s spell could conjure, the Harry Potter series continues to expand its fan list as more movies and books are released. The Harry Potter series is a classic and J.K.Rowling is an author both greatly admired and respected.
- Chronicles of Narnia – C.S. Lewis’s classic saga of a world found through a wardrobe is an excellent compilation of unforgettable characters and awe-inspiring worlds. This seven-book series introduces us to Aslan, the Pevensie children, and others. Each book tells a different story but each story still connects with the series as a whole. Lewis writes in a witty and artful way to entice young readers along with adults. The movies based on Lewis’s work are family friendly films that can be enjoyed by all.
- A Game of Thrones – These fantasy novels by George R.R. Martin are an amazing read. Instead of the common good vs. evil scenario, Martin incorporates many “grey” characters throughout his novels. Martin will shock you at every turn as he is not below killing off lovable main characters. This series has been popularized further with the successful TV series on HBO.
- The Inheritance Cycle – This tetralogy by Christopher Paolini is an amazing adventure to say the least. If you love dragons and fantasy, then these books are for you. Follow Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, as they fight the never-ending battle of good vs. evil. Although the film adaptations did not do these books justice, The Inheritance Cycle still shines as a masterful work of art.